Manjistha is a climber, covered in prickles and generally found in hilly region. The roots have tremendous importance in Ayurveda. It also has another colorful recognition, that of a natural dye for cloth which is recorded since thousands of years. At times, used in beauty regimes as a natural powder or cream as a cosmetic for coloring the cheeks or lips. Manjistha is sweet and slightly bitter in taste, hot in nature and kapha-vata-ghna i.e. it pacifies Kapha and Vata doshas.
मंजिष्ठा ……स्वरवर्णकृत् ।।
Manjistha (majitha or manjisth) is commonly found in many Ayurvedic formulations targeting skin ailments although it also has other benefits. Manjistha itself means ‘being beautiful’ or ‘having beautiful color or complexion’.
It is place in following medicinal group of herbs
- Varnya (herbs beneficial to improve complexion)
- Visha-hara (herbs beneficial in removing toxins)
- Jwarghna (herbs beneficial in fever)
Health Benefits from Manjistha:
Manjistha is a marvelous first line of defense to maintain skin health. Not only it will help correct skin disease, but it is a great friend when it comes to keep other body functions healthy as well. This purifying herb is known to help cleanse the channels and infuse with energetics, from the circulatory system to the blood tissue layer, the liver, kidneys, menstrual cycle and even the mind.
- Enhances immune responses.
- High antioxidant value.
- Promotes wound healing properties.
- Enhances rate of wound contraction and shows drastic reduction in healing time by having a positive effect towards new tissue formation.
- Reduces intensity and duration of pain associated with menstruation (dysmenorrhea).
- Anti-inflammatory and immune-modulating in nature
- Possess anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties.
Manjistha for Skin Health:
Nothing work best for skin, compared to Manjistha. It helps improve the skin complexion, leaving it bright, glowing and radiating. It is rich in phyto-phenols that aid in relieving complaints associated with dry skin and psoriasis. Being anti-inflammatory in nature it reduces the redness and inflammation accompanied with severe acne and other skin complaints.
Manjistha for Acne Relief:
Phyto-phenol rich Manjistha has anti-acne properties. It actively works against bacteria causing acne like propionibacterium acne, staphylococcus epidermidis, malassezia furfur and skin associated infections.
Manjistha for Inflammation:
Manjistha reduces excess stagnation of kapha and cleanses the aam i.e. sub-clinical inflammation which blocks the body channels. This further helps to ease the blood flow, maintain healthy circulation and reduce inflammation. Rubimallin like phyto-phenols present in Manjistha, inhibits the processes that cause inflammation and stops the production of various inflammatory factors.
Manjistha for Menstrual Health:
Manjistha corrects the imbalances in the menstrual cycle. It helps reduce excess kapha stagnation, congestion due to aam and occasional discomfort, while helping to promote a healthy flow.
Manjistha for Liver Health:
Manjistha has hepato-protective properties. It protects the liver from hepatic damage. Also, it is found to be effective against acute and chronic hepatitis. It helps to regulate lipid levels in the body due to the phyto-phenols present in it. It acts as a blood purifier by inhibiting factors leading to clot formations.
How to Use Manjistha:
- In reddish discoloration of urine, decoction of Manjistha and Chandan is advised
- On external application of Manjistha churna mixed with honey helps to reduce discolorations on the face
- Paste of root is used for application on ulcers, inflammations and various skin conditions
Manjistha offerings from Sandu:
Hemocleen: is a proprietary Ayurvedic formulation which acts as an excellent blood purifier and improves overall skin health.
Ashoka Compound: is a proprietary Ayurvedic formulation useful in all complaints related to female health.
Sandu Jatyadi Taila: is an authentic Ayurvedic formulation used for topical or local application and beneficial in healing of all types of wounds.
Sandu Mahamanjisthadi Kadha: is an Ayurvedic formulation excellent in various skin disorders and complaints. It is an excellent blood purifier. It is an antibacterial, laxative, diuretic. It burns fat, corrects obesity and is helpful in reducing lipid level in blood.
Sandu Balant Kadha No.3: is an Ayurvedic formulation beneficial for increasing immunity and lactation in mothers. It imparts post-delivery strength and helps relieve complications like fever, cold, indigestion, IBS, pain, etc.
Sandu Ushirasav: is a hydro-alcoholic Ayurvedic formulation that is beneficial in bleeding disorders including rectal bleeding, menorrhagia, hematuria; anemia, leucorrhoea, burning sensation, etc.
Sandu Ashwagandharishta: is an Ayurvedic hydro-alcoholic formulation for strengthening reproductive system and has a calming effect on the mind. It helps to nourish and revitalize the whole body.
Sandu Dashmoolarishta: is a hydro-alcoholic Ayurvedic formulation that is beneficial in various vata disorders, cough and cold, loss of appetite, Post-delivery complications, insufficient lactation, anorexia, vomiting, IBS, cough, asthma, degenerative diseases, vata disorders, piles, etc. It has a reputation as a post-delivery tonic.
Sandu Chandanasav: is a hydro-alcoholic Ayurvedic formulation that is beneficial in urinary diseases like burning and painful micturition, hematuria, oliguria, urinary calculus; spermatorrhoea, gonorrhea and syphilis
- Priya, M. & Elenjikkal, Siril. (2014). Traditional and modern use of Indian Madder (Rubia cordifolia L.): An overview. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research. 25. 154-164.
- Chen, Yi, et al. “Anti-thrombotic and pro-angiogenic effects of Rubia cordifolia extract in zebrafish.” Journal of ethnopharmacology 219 (2018): 152-160.
- Waratenne, P. R. “Comparative Study of the Effect of Varnyayoga Powder and Varnyayoga Cream on Yuvana pidaka (Acne).” South Asian Research Journal of Natural Products (2021): 18-27.
- Kumari, Priyanka, Satish Kumar Sharma, and Snigdha Tiwari. “Evaluation of antihyperlipidemic and antioxidant activity of Rubia Cordifolia Linn.” Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics 9.1 (2019): 211-215.
- BhanuPratap Singh, Om Prakash Dadhich and Deepa. (2017); A REVIEW STUDY OF MEDICINAL USES OF MANJISHTHA (RUBIA CORDIFOLIA). Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (Aug). 1394-1401] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com